Wednesday, January 20, 2016

More Sewn Goods

This weekend, I sewed a bunch of things that I need around the house besides the visual pun apron.

Kathleen Fasanella calls her book, The Entrepreneur’s Guide to Sewn Product Manufacturing, because .sewn. goods includes a great many things that are not garments for humans. If you look around your world, you'll notice how many things are sewn. Garment manufacturing has largely moved overseas, but there are still state-side opportunities for manufacturers of niche sewn goods.

Of course, we can be our own manufacturers.

I made two yoga straps, 3 napkins and a lunch bag from the retro aqua fabric. I also refashioned one of Bad Dad's holey T-shirts* into a cover for my heating pad and sewed a curtain to cover the hallway linen closet. The 2AB pillow covers are on my sewing table and should be finished this weekend.

The eagle-eyed may notice the vintage Calvin Klein blouse pattern on the napkins.  I'm trying to figure out what to make with my 1.5 yards of 54" wide blue/black Tana Lawn.

* The bottom parts of his Ts tend to be fine, while the top develops holes.  Why is that?  I cut the top parts with holes into rectangular-ish pieces to use instead of paper towels.  100% cotton can be composted.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE making things for my home! All my windows have Roman shades. Beautiful Japanese fabric became napkins (wide hems, mitered corners) for a gift. Parson's table has layered natural linen toppers with black twill tape trim, etc. What fun it is to beautify my home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. I look at my environment all day, but seldom look in a mirror. So making stuff for my surroundings gives me a lot impact for my limited time.

      Delete
  2. We were puzzled that all of husband's t-shirts were getting holes in the same spot, middle front hem. After much wondering, it turned out to be a piece of equipment at the gym was always catching in that spot. Still happens, but at least we know why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, we have hiking vacation photos with him wearing a backpack on top of this shirt. You solved this mystery!

      Delete

Comments are open for recent posts, but require moderation for posts older than 14 days.