Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Details and schedule

Wow, I was surprised by the number of people who want to see design details.
New door opening with glass door.
This is an especially stressful time at work. Last week, I audited an NCL Workshop and gave a short demo on how to find data for analysis. This week, I'm attending a WRF Workshop and giving a poster presentation of how to find data for numerical weather prediction.

In between, I moved into the condo (which looks more finished than in the picture above).  My family is arriving about the same time the WRF Workshop winds down.  Amid all this activity, I'm helping to write a NASA science education proposal due in 1 week.  Yipes!

Design detail posts will be posted gradually, and in a rushed manner, as I come up for air.

Meanwhile, I found a photo of the doorway we moved.  It used to be on the right, which seemed unnecessarily complicated.  Why go around a corner and then turn again to enter a room?  How does one move furniture into this room with 36" wide hallways (and 34" clearance door jamb to door jamb)?

36" wide hallways are the minimum width required by code.  Now, 40" and 44" are more common.  We couldn't really widen the hallway without MUCH effort because of the immovable adjacent posts that support the concrete floors and ceilings.  This is a 1960s 'hung' concrete high-rise building for those of you who speak architectural history.

I $plurged*and moved the door about 40" to the left, to align with the hallway.  I'm not sure if this was a good Feng Shui move.  But, it sure simplifies getting bulky things in and out of the room.  A door with a glass insert also allows the room and hallway to borrow light from each other.

Originally, I wanted ribbed (aka reeded) glass.  But, tempered safety glass is only available in clear or frosted.  We went with frosted, to match the rice paper in the Shoji screen closet doors.

The door is at the door workshop so that they can take the protective coating off the glass.  More pictures later.

* It was a splurge as anyone who has ever paid to move a 1960s asbestos-laden wall can attest.

2 comments:

  1. I bow to your ability to fulfill the demands of your job and remodeling your condo at the same time. Amazing.

    I'm afraid I"ll have to nix moving the doorway in my 1920s asbestos-laden wall. The kitchen would function so much better if the doorway were 30" south.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are open for recent posts, but require moderation for posts older than 14 days.