Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Code words

I'm too upset about the shooting at the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston, SC to write about it.

But, I couldn't let this use of code words close to home (where my child lives) go uncontested.
Sunny California Vacation Rentals owner Robert Reyes said the council is overdoing it with a complete ban, and he would have rather seen regulations address the problems.

“There are 225 vacation rental properties in Manhattan Beach, but only 58 are currently licensed and properly registered. Two- to three-day rentals are the problem,” Reyes said. “People coming from the inner city are bringing their buddies, who want to party. There is a right way and a wrong way to do this (short-term renting).”
When things didn't go the way he wanted, Robert Reyes chose to blame black people. I'm not going to use code words. I'm going to come right out and call him on his racism and race-baiting.

4 comments:

  1. The funny thing is, the frat boys, the white boys, they are the problem. If by problem he means destruction, littering, drinking, and lawlessness.
    But this guy wants to put his prejudice into law.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Go down to the beachfront homes and you see who is really there and who is really causing the problems.

      Delete
  2. I certainly agree about white frat boys! As to the vacation rental owner, I am wondering if today's SCOTUS ruling re: "positive impact" might impact this way of behaving/thinking/acting. They have upheld that this is unlawful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know the area, but my experience with beachfront home destruction would lean more toward the frat boys. But more to the point is that he is using one problem to disguise his own unabashed racism and get his way. I continue to find this kind of behavior shocking, even if not as surprising as I'd like.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are open for recent posts, but require moderation for posts older than 14 days.