Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Kwik Sew 3567

In an effort to clear the backlog of sewing and knitting projects, you will not get beautifully-styled outdoor pictures modeled on a human body.  You will get this.

It's even more of a shortcut because I sewed two tops, one in size S for Iris, another in size M for myself.  Iris asked for a close-fitting princess-seamed knit top.  I happened to have Kwik Sew 3567 in stash.

You may remember the polyester 'scuba knit' fabric from Back to School Sewing. It didn't get done before school.  It doesn't matter because the poly is too clammy for warm weather wear.

In fact, neither of us really want to wear these tops as outerwear.  We agreed to keep them as a base layer for skiing.

Live and learn.  Neither of us want to wear 'scuba knit' as every day wear.  I'm not even sure if it is suitable as active wear.  I'll post a comment here after the wear test.

After I laid out the pattern pieces, I realized I could make two tops.  I used cotton/poly/lycra ponte for the side panels and rayon/poly/lycra ponte for the sleeves and neckband.

The fit is actually quite good, though the crew neckline is higher than we prefer.  I will definitely use this pattern to replace my wardrobe of tired bicycle jerseys.  I'd make either the v-neck version or a modified crew-neck with a center zip and back pockets to turn it into a bicycle jersey.

Kwik Sew 3567 is the old-style KS pattern, with 1/4" seam allowances (SA) and printed on heavy paper.  It's out of print so get a copy while you can.

I definitely prefer the old patterns to the new patterns.  Wrestling with the v-neck opening on Kwik Sew 4014 with 5/8" SAs was a lesson in frustration.  Next time I make Kwik Sew 4014, I will trace it with 1/4" SAs and use Bab's method of inserting a v-neck neckband.  I know there will be more versions of 4014 because that's the first thing she wears out of the laundry.

Right now, she's clamoring for more cold-weather leggings like the ones I made for her with Kwik Sew 3476.

@KwikSew, bring back the 1/4" SA and heavy stock paper!

3 comments:

  1. I've been wondering about scuba knit. I get very warm in polyester. The top looks good though. I miss the old Kwik Sew too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only made one garment in scuba knit: a sheath dress where the scuba is used as a panel down the CF and CB. The side panels and sleeves are made from wool double-knit. This is definitely the way to go with scuba, I think. Mix it with breathable fabrics! I do like the look of your tops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poly is less clammy in dry Colorado than the damp beach. However, static is a real problem in CO. I'm still figuring out how to dress here.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are open for recent posts, but require moderation for posts older than 14 days.