Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Streamlines

I dub this design streamlines.
Because this sweater reminds me of weather charts with streamlines.
I stole the yoke increase method from Cookie A's Katrina Rib, which I knit in 2010.  My yoke is even simpler because all 10 sections are patterned in 3x3 rib.  Because of the different row gauge, I slowed down the lowest increases to every 5th row instead of every 4th row for 50 total yoke rows.

A back waist detail nips in the waist--perfect for those who need to make sway back adjustments when they sew.  I saw that pretty touch in one of Elsebeth Lavold's Viking Knits books.  It's such a good idea, it begs to be replicated.
It's not possible to do waist decreases in an allover rib pattern.  I switched from a size 5 to a size 4 needle in the waist area to further shape the waist.

The same cable appears at the center back and front chest.  I stole the cable chart from Berroco's free pattern, Latoya, which I knit in 2007.


The tubular cast-on was my idea.  That creates a k1-p1 rib.  There's a bit of a discontinuity when changing from k1, p1, k1, p1, k1, p1 to k3, p3 because a k becomes a p and vice versa.  However, it would be rude for someone to come up close enough to notice it.

The asymmetrical dip detail in front also owes a debt to Latoya.  I increased every other row 18 times (instead of every row 24 times).
Auditioning playmates from the stash. The textured poly that drapes so well is crying out to be made into another Unsuitable for plaids or stripes.  But Iris' Halloween costume is next up in the queue.

The nights are getting cooler.  I might just get an opportunity to wear it soon.

Sea surface temperatures typically peak in Sept-Oct so the days are perfect for walking on the beach.  Warm days, cool nights.  Ocean breezes.  We really do live in paradise.

Ravelled here.

5 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! I love the assymetric details and rib pattern, it really does echo the weather charts nicely! Such a great t-shirt style top, only way more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is gorgeous. I am very impressed. I wish I had the patience for knitting clothing! I get bored half way through a washcloth, alas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a very cool design...for some very lovely weather. Glad you get to enjoy both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I love the design, plus that's my favorite color

    ReplyDelete
  5. Incredible! And I love the inspiration from weather charts with streamlines! Of course, I'm also trying to read the book titles behind it, so I heartily approve of your backdrop, too.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are open for recent posts, but require moderation for posts older than 14 days.